USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

1.26.2010

In the Tropics!

I rode out of Ciudad Victoria round eleven o'clock in the morning and started with a climb out of the city then quickly out into ranch land. The weather is dry, hot and that damn head wind is back in full force . . . i vaguely recall something about prevailing winds out of the south but what are you gonna do 'bout that? I crossed the tropic of cancer and took a self photo at the big graffiti covered ball, wished i had my big permanent marker. I am traveling now! One imaginary line down, two more to go! I crossed the road to sit in the shade and have a celebratory beer and coke. I can picture the globe on its stand in the study at the farm, where i grew up. I spent a lot of time as a child crossing these lines in my imagination. Finally, i have my first decent climb in over a thousand miles but more exciting than the climb is the descent! I suppose flat is easier but i have been down in my drops pedaling non-stop for a long time and the wind is worse than any climb because you lack the anticipation of the other side. I am elated to top out with some fantastic views and a ripping 6km descent through tight s turns that bring me up to the speed of traffic. By late afternoon i start climbing through narrow lush valleys on winding mountain roads. Big ranches are replaced by small farms, cacti and thorny scrub brush are replaced by banana trees and citrus groves. Large trees overhang the road from steep hillsides providing welcome shade and no wind. As dusk approaches i duck into another citrus grove to sling my hammock, pop a caugama (1.2 liter beer) and cook dinner - a tasty soup of potatoes, onions, carrots, with two eggs whisked in, and rice.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Greg,

    Just trying to figure this Blog comment stuff out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the roads look wonderful (descents) and we are happy to hear people are curious and sincerely friendly...keep the awesome blogs and photos and humor coming..peace...phillip

    ReplyDelete