USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

7.10.2010

Otavalo's Saturday Market

The Saturday market in Otavalo, Ecuador is the largest outdoor craft market in the Andes. I went early to see the animal market which is also huge. People stream in from the surrounding countryside to haggle and sell all manner of beasts. The market is loosely organized by animals grouped in different areas with people standing around. A guinea pig costs $7.50. A young bull (less than one year) costs $170. Your ears are filled with the endless protests of animals, especially squealing pigs. The streets are filled with all manner of crafts and overflow with food.

By mid morning it has already been a long day. I escaped from the madness of the streets and animal market into the covered municipal food market for a big bowl of soup with pork, mote (corn), potatoes, rice and a beer. A much calmer setting with few tourists - not that there are that many but they tower conspicuously over the Andean throng with their big lenses poking everywhere. Everything costs me $2.25. Food is very reasonable - in preparation for leaving I bought 2 days of dinner vegetables and fruit for $1.25. I had my choice of 15 varieties of potatoes - got the ones with the best flavor (I am told).










1 comment:

  1. Otavalo was really great, especially the animal market. I wonder in which country we will meet again... A big hello from your Panama City-Otavalo friend, Michèle

    ReplyDelete