USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

9.29.2010

Welded and Rollin'

Of course, all my plans depend on having a dependable frame. The last thing I feel like doing is walking a busted bike frame with all my crap for days or a day for that matter in a jungle without a reliable map. . . course ridin' without a map is just fine. The first weld did not inspire much confidence though had funny conversation with a few young guys about woman and food mostly and it only cost two soles (2.8/$1). The problem is how do you find a good welder in a strange city filled with welders but nobody that knows bike frames . . . Walking my neighborhood, I acquire neighborhoods quickly, I notice “Mister” - general bike repairs, welder, painter – looking in I saw lots of bikes. I stopped by and introduced myself to Esteban and explained my problem asking for his opinion. He said to bring the bike. I was too ill that day but returned, though ironically delayed because they were welding the hotel door and could not get out. Esteban turned out to be a good welder, bike lover, and nice guy. We discussed my bike and choice of parts from pedals, brakes to wheels, as well as answering lots of questions about the United States (though nothing about baby fat). He reinforced the existing incomplete weld and added a cross piece to create a stronger rear triangle. Esteban said have “confianza.” The second time someone said this to me . . . the first was Alberto in Mexico before smuggling me into Belize effectively saving my ass. Confianza is not to be taken lightly - I got it. Off to the jungle. not the prettiest . . . but lots rod on there.

1 comment:

  1. that is good? to see...back on track...nice addition with the extra reinforcement...we will send powerful weld mojo your way...have fun and have confianza...peace...phillip

    ReplyDelete