USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

2.06.2011

Seven Lakes Loop

I surprised myself by my reluctance to leave San Martin de los Andes, the Aspen of the Andes, perhaps it was the quiet residential neighborhood and pleasant company surrounded by mountains and water. But I am meeting my sister in days and still have some beautiful riding ahead. So I said my goodbyes, photos were taken and I, was off.
The Seven Lakes is a famous 190 km road, maybe 40 -50km of dirt, that started in San Martin weaving mountain valleys along lake shores, rivers, dense forests.

The road climbs into a high valley but it is only a 15km climb out of the lake valley
and summer snow sits on the high peaks
but it feels like summer. Bees are buzzin' plants are bloomin' everything is going for it because they know this time does not last long and summer snow fills couloirs.
The rugged green landscape of forest, water, and mountains reminds me of New Hampshire, my home state, and I reflect I will be skiing on Mt. Washington this Spring/Otoño . . . the season change is going to be confusing but then again I am walking into a double summer.
I like summer so should survive. I am getting pretty damn comfy with camping and I found this site stumbling around in the dark while it started to rain. I camped earlier at a beautiful camp/fishing spot but was rousted by the park ranger 'bout 9:15pm. At least he was friendly about it and did not wait until 2 or 3 am to scare the crap out of me like the US National Park Service.
The road moved into bigger forests and became dirt for the day
Along the way I rode with Juan Pablo, a documentary film maker from Buenos Aires, who was on his first bike tour doing the Seven Lakes. He had lived in Mexico City for several years for a film project. Over 20km of dirt road we shared our love of Mexico, talked movies, and politics.

We detoured a couple kilometers off the road to a campground on Espejo Chico, shared a beer, and Juan decided to keep riding in the light rain while I decided to camp by the lake.
The camp ground was busy with families and college age folks but Argentinians are generally pretty quiet despite their late hours. I joined others fishing and fish took some interest for a change!
The next morning it was pouring and I braced for a wet cold day while sitting in my tent drinking cold instant because my stove was clogged again . . . putting off the inevitable. Good practice for the rest of the trip - dirt roads in a cold rain.
So no pictures of this leg until the day cleared in the afternoon riding along Lago Nahuel Huapi with a raging tailwind that pushed me over the small hills undulating along the lake shore.
I would spend one night in San Carlos de Bariloche before Susan and Matt showed up! The first time I have seen family since Christmas 2009 and they bring precious cargo - new tires, new bike shorts, coffee, peanut butter, shoe goop, and fly rod.

1 comment:

  1. freakin' beautiful and warm and just downright kick ass from the snowy and cold mountains I am experiencing...the more I look at your blog the more I think you have nearly accomplished one of the more badass and sublime adventures in life...let us know when the end is coming...peace...p

    ReplyDelete