USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

12.06.2010

Sleeping with the Virgin . . . Happy Birthday Dad

After a full day of pedaling I am feeling like this sea lion that someone propped up beside the road . . . I am in need of propping up. The road has shifted inland a hair and is a cliff drop from the beaches so no beach front for me tonight. However, I pass an elaborate shrine to the Virgin del Camino, Virgin of the Road, generally dedicated to truckers and travelers on a little bluff over looking the highway. Well maintained and I see green, as in vegetation and not just the painted rocks. The shrine was nestled into the rocks with numerous lit candles burning hopes and thanks to the Virgin but the real treasure was the contemplative garden above. Sheltered from the wind with a shade tree and benches.
I sat to take in the cool shade and before I knew what happened vino was in hand sitting below the statue of Jesus with sacred heart bursting forth from his chest. To camp or not to camp here is the question. I thought of a story my father told after coming home from a morning men's prayer breakfast. A homeless man was sleeping in the church portico and when the church was opened for breakfast they moved him on. Dad asked what would have Jesus done? The answer is obvious - and I decided to camp. Who is going to deny a traveler refuge in a place of refuge? On a more practical level the area had no lighting so no one would be coming at night and I did not see a no camping sign . . . A practical approach to religion. Dad and I have always shared an interest in religion/philosophy and I recall his frustration with a bible study group once. Dad had recently purchased the Princeton edition of the bible which is known for it translation accuracy. Dad noted that the disciples appeared to be men of some means, one because they could afford the luxury of travel, two they felt secure enough to take the time away from work, and three they had other people working for them when they joined Jesus. In essence they were men of some means.
Not surprisingly the bible study group was uncomfortable with these ideas - people do not like to mix class with their religion. Makes religion a little too much real life. But that is what you get when you allow a labor economist into your bible study group.
Personally, I took refuge in Jesus' role of suffering in the corner while everyone went to his mother to ask for favors. I slept blissfully unperturbed while vehicles passed on the road below faintly honking their horns at the Virgin del Camino. Happy Birthday Dad.

2 comments:

  1. smart move convincing yourself to camp AND drink the wine....take care phillip

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah - was not a hard sell really. g

    ReplyDelete