USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

4.18.2011

Elvis the Sheep

Once again I am in a major tourist destination running errands this time searching out bike and auto body shops to dismantle my ride. While everyone rides around in boats to walk with penguins I grab my tools and begin the dismantling process. I am not generally overly attached to my bicycles. Bicycles are tools for doing something I love they are not what I love. Bikes come and go but I always go riding. Frames always break given enough use and get replaced by new frames - usually under warranty (thank you Salsa). I knew this bike was not coming home the day I broke the frame clear through a weld on the rear drop out while climbing into the highlands above Huanuco, Peru. While wrenching and discarding tired/broken parts, I had a bitter sweet recollection of growing up on the farm. Elvis was a yearling ram that I showed at agricultural fairs for a season. Elvis was a sweet tempered sheep which can be rare in rams - he enjoyed having his neck scratched and willingly walked on a lead. But he was a ram, you only need so many rams on a sheep farm, and we could not sell him . . . So one crisp fall day I led him for the last time out into the front yard to go under the knife and into the freezer. I remember dad asking if I was ok . . . but this is reality - things come, things go, and we ate him. But like most of our animals we put his name on the package giving meals a reverence for their memory. I enjoyed this bike. I enjoyed imagining the bike. I enjoyed building the bike. I enjoyed long days in the saddle in my journey across the mountains, deserts, and jungles of two continents.

"Feel an object before you. Feel the absence of all other objects but this one. Then, leaving aside the object-feeling and the absence-feeling, realize."

5 comments:

  1. Greg,
    Thanks for bringing us all along with you here on your blog and on fb. Even for us laptop warriors and single track dreamers....it's been a hell of a ride! Sort of a "Where the Wild Things Are" on bicycle.

    Have a safe trip home. Supper is still hot.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks eric - be back in no time! cheers g

    ReplyDelete
  3. hell of a trip, and stories well told. thank for sharing them!

    kinda rainy and miserable right now in CNY, but the rain is needed and it's getting steadily warmer. perfect riding weather is right around the corner.

    cheers,

    -doug from syracuse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Greg,
    I give many thanks for our chance meeting on Ruby's back deck in San Pedro & a special one for the invite to fallow along on your incredile journey to Ushuaia.
    Here's hoping the next time we feed the Tarpons we have our fishing rods.
    Warmest Regards!
    Kelly & Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greg, thanks for sharing this journey. I think I may remember Elvis. Maybe that is wishful thinking at this stage. Certainly I remember many animals from your family's farm, including a very aggressive goose and being schooled in how to criticize Cheviots. Seriously, I've enjoyed following you very much, kind of hard to articulate, but look forward to reconnecting at some point. - Eastman

    ReplyDelete