USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

1.07.2010

On the Border

I left Corpus and made my way across the southeastern plains of Texas towards Bentsen Rio State Park outside of McAllen, Texas. I passed through Kingsville, home of the King Ranch, which is bigger than the state of Rhode Island (isn't everything though?). The country is big and flat - covered with low scrub brush and cacti if it is not cleared. I imagine coming through this country in the summer time with temperatures well over 100 degrees desperately trying to


avoid the ubiquitous border patrol in their white and green striped vehicles. A border patrol officer checked me out while i was stopped to eat. He asked if i had enough water. He was part of a hydration unit, and when he learned what i was doing, he gave me a supply of electrolyte packets that will last years. Everyone i meet is kind and supportive from truckers that beep and wave to store owners not charging me for items. While passing through Mission, close to the park, i stopped by a local bike shop, Bike Masters, for a new hat optimistically thinking i won't be needing the black wool cap for long . . . it is cold and raining as i write this. The owner of the bike shop came out as i was leaving and gave me pair of socks and asked if i spoke spanish. Si, he gave me his business card and a card for a bike shop in Monterrey, Mexico that a relative owns - nice to have!

I am writing this from the cafe at the World Birding Center in the Bentsen Rio State Park. During the day i see lots of older folks in safari outfits with binoculars but at night i am the only person camping in the entire park - as long as the local pigs (technically javalinas - still pork to me) stay out of my stuff - but they seem happy with bird seed.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pig picture! My friends from Jackson have offered you their pad on the coast of El Salvador when you get down there.Love ya
    susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm originally from Utica, lived in Corpus Christi and am now a retired Border Patrol agent. I'm glad your experience meeting some agents was positive. Good luck on the rest of your trip, bet you've got that black wool cap back on! :)
    Border Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg,
    This is Gary LeMasters - Alan is my brother-in-law twice removed!!! Have you read "Obsessions Die Hard"? The author made the first motorcycle crossing of the Darien Gap. He said afterwards that it was a mistake!

    Good luck! I have many miles of loaded bike touring under my belt (as well as 40 lb of fat due to motorcycling and beer) and it is a great way to travel.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greg,
    You go man! I hear the Javelinas are good eatin! Wag

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey wagster - they look yummy but when it got down to business the buggers move quick! happy new year man

    hello Gary - i looked long and hard at the darien but not sure i wanna be that famous dead/missing guy besides the riding looked lousy. i'll post the video of ian hibell that convinced me! thanks for the book rec - g

    Border bob - my experience with all the agents, and lawmen in general, has been very positive and helpful with the exception of a couple officers in montgomery ala that just didn't want to be helpful at all - it was kinda strange - musta been my perfume. glad you enjoy the blog -g

    ReplyDelete