USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

2.07.2010

Into the Mountains

I rode out of Xilitla is a light mist and the wet roads made me hesitant to let 'er rip, don't want to go skidding off any 200 meter cliffs. Still, didn't let any cars catch me on the way down for 10km. After a damp day of rolling through green misty lowland hills I camped outside of Tamazunchale in a cow pasture below the road - then it really rained.

I packed everything between the rain and hard rain while little black fly type bastards took chunks out of my legs.The day never really cleared as i climbed continually for nearly 80km moving in and out of cloud bands for moments of brief revelation. Rising above the clouds the views are spectacular. Thankfully the road is not busy and the traffic was the same delivery vehicles, dump trucks, combi's, and rural taxis. By the end of the day i waved to the same guys a half dozen times over the course of the climb. Eventually, even the dump truck drivers were courteous, waving and honking encouragement - though i can't believe one of those bastards didn't offer me a ride. (not that i would accept, of course).
I passed through small communities and saw people coming up to the road from to catch rides on the combi's (passenger vans) that serve the area. Men with vehicles were the most friendly, children giggled, and old women treated me like the plague, while middle aged women gave a big smile. I was a true spectacle as people peeked out at my passing then gathered behind me in the road as i climbed and climbed. The days of rain at this point caused some minor landslides but i welcomed the chance to take a break from my 10kph slog.




After six hours of climbing i had my first descent into Jacala as night descended and it rained in earnest . . . again. I would spend the next day eating my way through the town of 12,000 people waiting for the rain to stop. A town of 12000 people has a lot of things to eat - at least 10 butchers all with there own chicharrones! not sure how many bakeries but I settled on one, and then there were meals.
When i ride out of Jacala i will be up onto the plateau into forests then higher into dry desert with cacti.

No comments:

Post a Comment