USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

2.01.2010

Reserva de la Biosfera El Cielo

I arrived at Gomez Ferias, in the biosphere reserve, late morning and found a wonderful camp ground at the Hotel Posada Campestre (www.posadaenelcielo.com.mx). Shortly, after hanging my hammock i met Blanca and Luis, a couple from northern Mexico on a quick romantic getaway. Luis spoke english and often spent time in Texas but preferred living in Reynosa. We spent the afternoon simply hanging out and chatting for a couple hours which was a great introduction to Gomez Ferias. At Luis' feet is my dog, he camped with me and greeted me each morning. After they left i pretty much had the town to myself. The route i am traveling is not frequented by foreigners and Mexicans were all working to pay off the holidays. Gomez Ferias was small but charming with just enough services to be convenient. The community is a center for nopales, a cactus used in cooking - that is really tasty and they are fields all over the hillsides. I restrain myself from picking bananas from front yards. The reserve itself is quite large and the terrain is rugged - i am told repeatedly that it is not possible by bike - so i slap on the mtn bike tires and head for these impossible hills. Well, they are a workout but appropriate. I meet locals along the way who are surprised to see a gringo on a bike but everyone is friendly, asks questions about my travels, and shares food. The area is a birders paradise as well as having cloud forest hosting a wide variety of flowers and plants that makes it literally one of the three most biodiverse parks on the planet. I learned that flocks of parakeets are very loud and impossible to sleep thru never mind the neighbors donkey, the dogs, the roosters, the parrots, and neighbors to either side shooting at something with a .22 on alternate days. The following photos are on the main road to Alta Cima and San Jose

1 comment:

  1. Hi Greg,
    Just wanted to let you know I read your blog regularly and your writing and photos make me feel like I'm there. Such an epic adventure! Hopefully you will write a book about your experience. Ride safe!
    Paul

    ReplyDelete