USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

12.14.2009

Is this adventure?

I remembered a rock climbing t-shirt that I owned, the shirt read, "the spirit of adventure," featuring a blocky stick figure blowing its brains out with a hand gun. I wore the shirt on test days when i proctored at SUNY-Binghamton, some people found it shocking, eventually i outgrew the shirt. Today, i thought there might be something to that shirt. I was stomping on my pedals for 20 miles late in the day with trucks roaring by 4 feet away while i dodged grass hummocks, truck tires and road kill. I exited into a place on the map but nothing is there but water, i realize i must reenter the highway and flip a u turn across four lanes of traffic, so i scream fuck at the top of lungs several times before i climb the ramp. Funny thing 4 feet feels secure, all things relative, but the darkening foggy night did not feel secure, the excessive debris did not feel secure, the four lane volume of traffic, the thought of drunk drivers. I stopped at a gas station after full dark to inquire about a campground but the clerks recommended continuing on 90 west, shiiiiit really?, but within a mile were services and hotels. The young man did it all the time to see his girlfriend working at the next exit. I briefly considered the things young males will do to see chicks . . . but it was a known quantity versus a sans shoulder two lane secondary road in the pitch rainy dark. Intuitively, i know i can ride the distance, but what about the rainy dark, road debris, drunks, the things i do not control. Back to the on ramp with one cheap ass AutoZone flash light in one hand and another wedged into the back pannier with a couple beers stashed. I know i will want a beer after this little adventure and i can control that.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa Greg, that last part sounds pretty dicey to me...The shirt is definitely an appropriate comparison. Go you! Every time I ride my bike 5 miles into work in the morning, and it's usually foul weather as you can imagine, I'm thinking of you pedaling your ass off for thousands of miles and I have no way of really understanding what that's like. Woo Hoo! Merry Christmas, and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete