USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

12.05.2009

Snowed on in Alabama!

Well, North Georgia is beautiful - some of the most beautiful country in the U.S. - but it is still cold and often raining. I am getting used to being outside though - just the other day i was reveling in the sunshine and warmth until i passed a bank thermometer reading 46 degrees . . . As the terrain moderates i have a greater variety of back roads to choose from, and rode my first dirt roads, which is pleasant. Riding next to heavy traffic, without a break down lane or shoulder, leaves me completely frazzled - you are always listening for that one vehicle. . . though I must say that Georgia and Alabama drivers are most considerate, however waving to everyone is taxing for a northern New Englander.
People are friendly and the greatest impediment to making progress is talking - not that i have a problem with talking. I asked everyone for directions in Piedmont, AL( when you are in Piedmont, AL check out my photo next to all the deer hunters at Ingram's One Stop). Eventually, i found a bike path passing through town that went from Atlanta to Birmingham . . . and not one person mentioned the bike path - until i asked,

"where does that bike path go?"
"oh the that goes from Atlanta to Anniston,"
" really," i say, "how far is Anniston?"
"25 miles."
"well, i guess i will take that."

The Chief Ladiga Trail was wonderful in all its flat traffic-less glory and for 20 miles all i heard were dogs and the dry swish of leaves in my wake. http://www.chiefladiga.com/. The trail ends just outside Birmingham but it was approaching dusk in two hours - a terrible time to ride through cities. I approached a cyclist at the trail head and
asked for some direction. John, was a local 5000 mile a year cyclist, and my savior for getting me through Birmingham. John gave me a ride to the top of Mt. Cheaha, the highest point in Alabama and beautiful state park in the middle of Talladega National Forest. The weather had been chilly and snow was in the forecast but snow in Alabama?! It was only a dusting but i woke up at 3:30am covered in that dusting - i almost just went back to sleep because i wasn't cold but decided it was best to move to a more sheltered location - then i got really cold, briefly started a fire to warm up and went back to sleep by 4:30am.
I woke up to a 22 degree blustery morn - sat in my bag and drank hot coffee until i was motivated to ride. But, what the hell, i could sit and be cold or ride and be cold and i knew i was riding into a clearing day.
Lucky for me John felt bad about dropping me on Mt Cheaha when he saw the weather that morning and he drove up to meet me and show me out of the mtns and set me on my way to the coast. I was tempted by his offer to stay a day in the area but i knew i had couple days of clearing weather to make time south and hell i ride all winter in upstate NY so whats a little cold and snow. John set me on my way with a great route to the coast that has been very nice. Thank you John H - people like yourself are what makes a trip like this worthwhile.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    This is JohnH, glad you trip is going well.
    The picture of me shows a large mid section but that is just my jersey.

    ReplyDelete