USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

10.06.2010

My Brother (maybe he did need a guide)

This is Greg's sister Susan posting for him as he is not in the best contact area at this point. Well as my Dad said Greg really got himself into it this time. He is Ok and I am going to post a few of his emails to me that explain what he got himself into. One of my crew asked me today when I was explaining his crazy route/idea if I would have gone along with him if I had been there. I really wanted to say no but my brothers infectious enthusiasm would have gotten me like it has gotten so many others and I am sure I would have gone. My faith in my brother is absolute in that he would do his best to take care of me and himself in a bad situation. Besides whats a little time lost in the woods? So here are Greg's emails and we can all look forward to some intense posts when he gets himself in a better spot and better fed.

Sept 30th 5:07pm
hey suze sharewith mom and dad - wowthis key boardsucks! the route is lookinglike panao - chaglla - munis - abra tambode vacas (a 4400 mt pass) then descend to codigo del pozuzo then pozuzo. having no luck on moredirect route info love g

Sept. 30th 6:32 pm
ok i am doing what i originally intended now and have a list of towns that i need to ask for and go thru - within about one hour of arrving here everyone knew i was the gringo in town headed to pozuzo on a bike . . . kind a funny instant celebrity status - but anyhow went into a store to provision and met a ´guide´that lives in the area i am headed to (who understood what i was doing and knew i did not need a guide) and immediately discouraged the other route as being far out of the way and difficult on a bike - i will be dropping pretty much directly east form panao to pozuzo and it may only take a day with an early start unless the trout fishing is too good to pass up and i stop and camp along the way (supposed to be great) so hewr is the list - i wil be heading towards the lagunas and yuramarca -pampa wasi - piura - san juan - buena vista - pozuzo there is a santa virginia but i think it is very close to pozuzo and there will be a lot of people around that ´look like me´ at that point. first climb will be on drit road out of town then it will become a wide track that occasionally gets rocky but sounds like it should be clear . . . at least they were not concerned i would be ble to find it and plenty of people around to ask direction form as well - i am pretty psyched and glad to get some good beta and have it be as i expected. so there we go i shold be able to contact you guys is two days from the sounds of things. very happy and psyched! love greg

Oct. 5th 7:53 pm
hey susane just a quick note to let you know everything is good but it
was really really fucking hard and took way longer turning into quite
the little adventure. could you email mom and dad and let them know -
thanks got a sat connection here and it is really slow and i need to
eat after not eating very much for aquite a few days - thanks love
greg

Oct 6th 10:00am
sorry my 2 day journey turned into a 5 day epic and i have concluded
that all peruvians are liars about time & distance or have no idea
where the fuck they actually are . . . yesterday was supposed to be a
3 hour walk . . . was a 7 hour hell slog to get half way - close to
dark but finally reach a ¨road´´ after four days then i decided to
just continue on into the dark but managed to catch a truck to pozuzo
where i am now. beautiful area but on the very edge of the jungle
frontier. pretty amazing little journey but bc it was elections no one
was in the countryside so i had no one to ask directions from - i was
doing great in the high mtns but once i started to drop into the selva
all went to hell and i took a couple wrong turns that extended my
travel by 2 days or so - started running out of food and chewed lots
of coca - basically going 12 hours without eating at a stretch to
conserve luckily some people fed me half way thru day four which was a
great help course they only spoke quechua but i managed to thank them
and get some directions out of where i was. spent a lot of time
pushing and carrying my bike (whole or in pieces) up and down steep
ass mtns for thousands of feet - has definitely change my perspective
on what is possible and what i am capable of thats for sure - looking
back on it and when i was doing it i wondered where am i getting all
this strength other than i did not have any choice. glad to be in a
town with a road now and feel like i may head to the coast for awhile
out of the mtns (besides almost beach season) and make a little time.
i am almost certainly the only person to ever do that roue on a
bicycle and people were surprised to see me (and my blue eyes) - there
obviously are no foreigners in the areas i went thru which were days
walks from roads never mind electricity that would be still more days.
anyhow will not be moving for a day or two while my feet heal up bc
they are a mess! and i regain some energy bc i feel incredibly
depleted now. i don´t think i can post here bc it is a satellite
connection and very very slow (gotta use html for email) sorry to make
you guys worry and the first thing i did when i got here was email
you. i should have a better connection within a week when i get a
little closer to civilization. love greg
please pass this on to mom and dad and if you have the info still and
have the time go onto my blog to relay this info i will try
again but it just does not work well here. thanks again and hope to be
able to call soon.

1 comment:

  1. Well, Greg, Mom speaking and my adventurer is true to form. I have more gray hairs than I care to count. Love you and really look forward to talking to you. Susan, Thank you for posting and keeping me sane.

    ReplyDelete