USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

10.12.2010

Quick Note

All Peruvians are not liars about time and distance . . . The areas I was in lack electricity so no clocks and no watches. If I wore a watch it would probably be the most interesting thing with me - I have had that exact experience before in remote areas. People have no idea what an hour is, therefore I have long gotten in the habit of asking, "is it a days walk, half days walk, can you complete the walk before lunch?" But some people insist on using hours perhaps because I am a gringo . . . but they do not know what an hour is. Additionally, people do not travel that far from home. So despite being relatively close to Pozuzo people had never heard of it but they could name every farm and collection of two or more houses down the valley. Giving directions is cultural. I am getting more comfortable with the "vueltas,""adelantes," and broad waves that encompass half the horizon . . . So all you Peruvians out there that may have taken offense - none meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment