USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

10.12.2010

Una Buena Adventura

    Each time I grasp the chain stay to lift my monstrosity I read the quote by Nietzsche, “Is life not a thousand times to short to bore ourselves.” I began to think nasty thoughts about incestuous syphilitic philosophers whose idea of adventure is to tell pastor daddy, 'god is dead' . . . not fair but raised the question what is adventure? Simple physical challenge? I could just stay in the gym for that. The physical coupled with the mental challenge of venturing into the unknown without the assurance of success. 99% of people said no way that is too far, to which I replied, “New York is far.” If people say that is impossible enough times you run the risk of believing them. To be an adventure you have to risk something dear otherwise it is only sport. Self reliance becomes important. Rescue is out of the question. There are no helicopters, no rescue teams, no phones. You are a healthy two day walk from anywhere then you are in Yuramarca or Buena Vista . . . If you need a stretcher I figure 5 days then you are still in Yuramarca or Buena Vista . . . A slipped disc, broken leg, head injury, then what? . . . a burst appendix is a septic death sentence. I am happy to be healthy and strong. If something bad happens you can hope for the kindness of others and others are kind but with limited resources . . . provided they find you. You are focused on the moment aware of your environment with a clear head. And I always carry duct tape.I like to think there is an element of discovery besides knowing I can push hard without much food. One being humility. I am now entered in the annals of Pozuzo history as the first person to cross from Panao to Pozuzo on a bike and I am to meet a reporter in a bar this evening to talk. But what did I do that has not been done a thousand times before? . . . I just dragged my bike along . . . plain silly. I thought about the first Austro-Germans hacking their way to Pozuzo 150 years earlier along the same route, but was that adventure or necessity? I suspect adventure is a dilettantes discipline. I nudged my limits and have a little more faith in my abilities but then as Nietzsche said, “ A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.”






No comments:

Post a Comment