USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

11.20.2009

Got Hit!

Damn! I knew it was likely to happen in some form and more than anything i feel lucky. Route 221 has very little shoulder and i am generally looking to ride back roads but even those have no shoulder. Anyhow an old woman side swiped me going 50+mph . . . it happened so fast that it did not register 'til after the fact. I was toiling along fiddling with my apple when she just brushed past and barely moved me but she felt it and pulled over - which is to her credit - i just rolled up, still eating my apple, said i was alright but if she was over one more foot i would be dead as a doornail - we wouldn't be talking - and she should think about that in the future. The mousey little woman looked shocked behind her tiny rould glasses then i peddled off. I have had a few close calls in my life and my reaction is always the same - calm - a calmness in the event being over and being alive to go on - a simple thankfulness that displaces any possibility of anger. As dusk came though i had visions of bespectacled grannies behind the wheel - it is like a whole new horror genre! I walked the last hill into Hillsdale(a name way to apt) because i was just a little freaked out by thoughts of grannies and fixating drunks (different close call) then i saw street lights and the elementary school.

No comments:

Post a Comment