USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

11.20.2009

Virginia and the Blue Ridge


Finally made it to David Rosher's house in Lexington VA for a much needed 3 days off chilling with Roshermatic and checking out the Lexington area. It is very nice with two colleges - Virginia Military Inst. and Washington and Lee but hardly any outward college scene other than youngsters walkin' about. Dave met me 12 miles outside of town and brought me in on a combination of dirt roads and a bit of trail to finish it off and the first thing he shows me in town . . . is a memorial to General Tiger John McCausland and he mentioned that i could just drop my name and be well received. Funny, I couldn't find him mentioned in Chambersburg PA but then he did burn it to the ground. The weather was more than fine in the 70's and sunny.

Dave and I rolled out of town on Wednesday on some back roads towards the Blue Ridge Parkway. The day was over cast and when we topped out on the Blue Ridge Parkway mid afternoon it was starting to rain and we parted ways - Dave headed north and I continued south for 30+ miles in the pissing down rain. It was great to see Dave in his home and ride with him again - his departure from Binghamton was a difficult adjustment.
I arrived at the Roanoke Mtn campground in the pitch dark which was closed (free!) but no facilities or running water but i found a great handicap shelter out of the rain to cook my ramen, read and have a beer (gotta work on my gourmet). Luckily, I have been over the Parkway several times because i wasn't going to see much over the next two days in the rain . . .
When i woke in the morning it was pouring so i relaxed and enjoyed my cold instant coffee before setting off into the fog and rain for a 2000+ foot climb on the parkway. Eventually, i dropped down to route 221 for food and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment