USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

11.17.2009

Questions are never indiscreet. Answers sometimes are.

Upon announcing that i was quitting my job, renting my house and riding my bike to Ushauia at the tip of Tierra del Fuego people had a bundle of common questions.

1. Why are you doing this trip?
Too many National Geographic specials as a child, dad's endless story telling, phenomenally supportive parents that allowed me to do what i want. . . not sure but I have always been drawn to exploration and South America. And as Erin, in a heated moment, once said, "why don't you just go do it". If i don't do this i will regret it and i prefer to regret things i have done instead of things i didn't.



2. How far is it and how long will it take?
Well, in a straight line it is only about 7000 miles from New York but I won’t be moving in a straight line so I figure 9 to 10,000 miles but this will include at least 1500 miles of boat travel in the Amazon Basin from Manaus, Brazil to the base of the Peruvian Andes and some generalized wandering. If all goes according to calculations and what plans that exist I will be at the tip of South America within a year and six months but I wouldn’t put money on that . . . but i wouldn't have put money on me completing my house.

3. Are you going with anyone?
No . . . Unless you know someone with 2 years off that wants to peddle the length of two continents? I generally find myself good company and enjoy doing what I want when I want at the speed I want. I won’t be alone but surrounded by people living their lives in a different place from here. Traveling alone can be a more social experience because it forces you to reach out and your increased vulnerability makes people reach out to you . . . in good ways, usually, which raises the topic of safety.

4. Are you bringing a gun?
No. First of all because people with guns get shot and the vast majority of peoplein Latin America do not own guns. If anyone points a gun at me chances are it will be an automatic rifle and they will be wearing a uniform meaning you are fucked and fucked - just nod and smile. The rest of the hemisphere does not share the American obsession with fire power unless they are military or drug traffickers. Not that I don’t own guns or enjoy hunting, I am just saying that carrying firearms over international borders is a great way to get arrested and contrary to popular belief your government will not spring you from foreign jails for your own stupidity.

5. Are you going to bring a phone?
No, or at least not once I leave the United States, it is too expensive (99cents/minute Verizon in Mexico) . If I do get into trouble, which is the concern, who am I going to call? Uh . . . hello? . . . Dad . . . Mom . ? . I am in middle of the Amazon and there are no roads but . . . I do not anticipate great cell coverage in the Amazon, across the Andes Mountains, in the Gran Chaco, the Atacama Desert or Patagonia. . . . part of the point is to not have a phone. To stay in touch international phone calls are practically free over the internet.

6. Are you going to bring a GPS?
No. My global position is where ever I am at. I can read maps, roads are on maps, I am taking roads, and have a compass besides all I really need to do is head south. If I cannot find the end of two continents without a GPS then I really have no business going on this trip. I won't be lost just someplace different - as long as i am headed in the right direction.

7. Are you doing this for a cause?
Yes. My own pleasure which I do not feel a need to justify. The world might be a better place if people dropped some causes, figured out what makes them truly happy, and allowed others to do the same. My parents always said, "do what makes you happy because you only go round once". Also, I do not feel like answering to anyone. Besides what is my cause going to be? World Peace?, a more modest Middle East Peace?, Israel's withdrawal to the 1967 boundaries and cessation of its genocidal campaign against the Palestinians?, Global warming?. . . which I should perhaps thank for my unseasonably warm start. . .. cancer?, terrible disease but I am not likely to cure it on my bike. Perhaps my cause can be to raise general awareness.


8. Are you looking for sponsors?
Not really, but if someone wants to give me money we can talk. My biggest sponsors are all my friends at Chenango Point Cycles and in the local bike community who have been enabling me for going on two decades and are hands down the best bike shop I have ever had the privilege of serving. This trip would have been far more difficult without the help of Jim, Matt, and Josh at Chenango Point Cycles. Jim's 50th Roast.

Family has been especially supportive along with friends like Elliot, Dave Y, Dave H at FBM, Todd, Kyle K., Jinsu, the Stanleys, the Moyers and many others that i fail to recall right now but will feel shitty about forgetting later.
I will miss the fridge of wonder and grillin' at the shop but i'll be back.

9. Where are you going to sleep and shower?
Most people have a hard time imagining that much camping and crashing in the bushes. . . so do I but here we go, I liked it for one or two months in the past and I am really efficient at it, vamos a ver . . . I envision a well provisioned homelessness.

10. Are you going to start in Alaska?
Hell No! You start in Alaska. I did think briefly of starting at Hudson Bay but I think I will just roll out my front door. Sorry to disappoint but enough is enough.

11. Will you cut your hair or shave?
Yes and Yes. Unless I feel otherwise - I understand that I change hair fashion more often than most but it is a ride not a hair contest.

1 comment:

  1. Must make your old man very proud. YOur ride makes my trips up and down the New Engalnd coast (and sleeping in a bed) seem like not much. I will look for your reports. Also sending this to a guy I know doing 4500 across America by himself. Maybe he'll hook up with you for your next one.

    Good luck,

    Bob Downing

    ReplyDelete