USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

5.04.2010

Ah . . . Antarctica . . . so cold and so far away

Jimmy Surette, old friend/house mate/climbing partner, sent me this link to a movie he recently shot and produced through his company Granite Films. Skiing in the Antarctic is such a pleasant thought while sweat runs in rivers down my arms and streams off my nose. My world is a salty wet place. I just washed and bleached my bike gloves . . . again. I would ride without gloves but they keep my hands from slipping off my bars. I miss skiing. Volcano Popocatapetl really set off the lust with its perfect cone rising above central Mexico begging for a thousand turns ripping its pristine face. All the more so because it is closed due to being active. The only thing sweeter than first turns are poached first turns. . . or first descent turns, of course.

Australis: An Antarctic Ski Odyssey from Granite Films Jim Surette on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. It got down to 60 F last night, we were camped out in this sweet clearing in a forest at 5,000 feet. And I wasn't dripping in sweat after walking to the corner store, in fact, I didn't sweat at all. I had forgotten what that was like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you lucky bastard even the little altitude i gained was am improvement - well i am gonna go jump in the ocean now and have a cold one! -g

    ReplyDelete