USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

5.12.2010

Going Coastal

On the way into Cahuita I passed the "sloth sanctuary," and thought, "that is just the place for me . . . I wonder if they serve free beer"? I have a hard time passing good beaches by and so i have been stopped on the Caribbean coast, agian. Though I managed to cover 20 km in the past week. I am a complete sucker for undeveloped beaches, big waves, and pleasant company.
I met Alex, Sophie, and Kat in Cahuita, from Quebec City, who are traveling for 5 weeks. Nice to spend some time around beautiful women and work on my French comprehension . . . not that I need to speak French.



Nevertheless, hanging out on the beach, body surfing and eating is more fun with others (plus adoptive dogs). One night we grilled a four kilo piece of red snapper that made us pretty popular around dinner time. We walked for nearly four hours start in town along the beach and jungle trails in Cahuita National Park to visit a beach around the point.
Costa Rica has been great for wildlife viewing and this was no exception. We saw a sloth in the trees not doing much of anything - they are called Perezosos in Spanish meaning lazy(s). Raccoons looking for handouts and a curious Capuchin monkey.













































The area is not noted for fishing because the deeper water off the continental shelf is off shore a ways, however kids were fishing with hand lines close to shore and having luck.

Kat, Alex, Sophie, and myself have been moving down the coast together from Cahuita to Puerto Viejo. They continued on to Bocas del Toro in Panama the other day and I guess it is time to get moving myself. . . maybe I'll get around to some surf lessons.Though sleeping in the hammock hotel at Rockin'J's in Puerto Viejo has been nice with good food and company. Oh look another perfect Caribbean sunset . . .

1 comment: