USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

5.27.2010

Bye to the Pacific until Peru

After several days of riding, eating, and sleeping in the rain, I was ready for a rest day to unpack and dry out. Santiago is a small regional commercial city with a small selection of hotels and food along the Pan American highway. A good place to eat and write for 5 to 6 hours in air conditioned comfort. I am getting pretty good at finding my way around, one would hope after nearly 7 months, and after a quick tour around the city found the best deal with wifi. I noticed my first mosque in Central America and not the last in Panama. Matt and Paul rolled in the next day and we walked over to Micky D's, my first on the trip, and began the days eating. Noticed the determined looking walks. The next I felt ready to roll after a day of rest and recovery. I decided to head for a beach on the Pacific Ocean about 140+km away. The broad agricultural valleys, decent road with a shoulder, and desire to go swimming allowed me set a blistering average of 16+ mph for the initial few hours. I rolled into Santa Clara in the late afternoon and found the Santa Clara beach. $3 to camp on the beach for the night under a palapa with a few restaurants stretched out along the beach. I was not to ambitious but enjoyed a swim in the pounding Pacific surf but was a little wary of the fierce undertow, ate, and relaxed in my hammock on the beach.Getting to the beach was a bit of effort but it meant that Panama city was only 120 km away. I could go there in one day or two depending on whim. And it meant I could fall asleep to the surf and wake to morning light.I usually wake with first light. A wonderful time to walk the beach with my camera and cold instant coffee. My tranquility was briefly interrupted by a playful pooch.



Until another opportunity for play presented itself and left me to the sunrise. Until it was time to pack up and pedal towards Panama City.


















No comments:

Post a Comment