USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

5.28.2010

Riding into Panama City

Someone said to me, "Panama City is just like Miami except they speak English". I suspect the pace of construction is faster in Panama City, the city appears to be springing off the shores of the Pacific. I had stayed the previous night in La Chorrera less than 40km outside of Panama City anticipating an easy Sunday morning ride. Heading into the city I was surprised by the volume of traffic for Sunday morning, but then Panama is a big city on the Pan Am highway . . . and it was not Sunday but Monday. Time can be so elusive. The highway deteriorated approaching the city and shoulders disintegrated into scale models of the canyon lands. Approaching Puente de las Americas the shoulder disappeared but a sidewalk appeared. However, the right side was too narrow forcing me to carry my bike underneath the bridge to the other side before walking across. Later in the day Matt and Paul actually rode across the bridge . . . crazy. I enjoyed my walk across taking pictures of the canal passage and catching glimpses of the skyline between the hills.

Drivers were friendly and encouraging as they cruised by 3 feet away.The bridge dropped me at the door step of Casco Viejo. I followed a map in my head from Google that was efficient for finding the hostel, Luna's Castle, but, incidentally, placed me in the "most dangerous neighborhood in Panama," Chorrillo. Chorrillo is the same neighborhood that burned during the US 1989 invasion of Panama resulting in many deaths. I kept pedaling.
The hostel is located in Casco Viejo, a World Heritage Site, that was originally founded in 1519 then re founded in 1673 after Henry Morgan sacked and burned the city. The hostel is actually built on the original city walls. Matt is working on repacking his headset at the base of the wall.


Casco Viejo is under going a major renovation. I am surprised to see so much capital investment in today's economic climate. Buildings are a mix of fully renovated and fully dilapidated in a neighborhood that includes the Presidential Palace and French Embassy across a small bay from the new high rises and luxury shopping malls Panama City.















Overall, a nice place to rest and play.

No comments:

Post a Comment