USHUAIA OR BUST ROUTE MAP

5.19.2010

Over the Divide

On Sunday, we chilled at the Hostel Heike, in Bocas, waiting for a census official to show up and count us. Finally after answering some questions - name, age, single/married/divorced, nationality, and "where did your mother live when you were born?" - we were out. Bocas is nice but I am happy to leave the backpacker tourist scene behind - to many youngsters with new gear drinking, oops I mean traveling, on mommy and daddy's credit card. Matt, Paul and I caught a water taxi back to Almirante and started pedaling along the coast. I knew nothing of Panama, other than it has a canal, and we were surprised by the beauty of road as it weaved the Caribbean coastline through dense jungle. The only noticeable agriculture is small scale bananas. We stopped in a small river valley to camp under a palapa and locals were floating timber down the river, presumably, for local use. Many women wear indigenous dress that consists of a bright primary colored mu mu with bands of colored accent.



The next day we continued rolling along the coastline for 40+km until turning inland to begin climbing over the continental divide. Towards mid-day the black top shimmers in the heat and we breath in a blast furnace. I do not think I am going to acclimate to temperatures in the 90's with equal humidity. With a light breeze to your back the air is still and the sun beats down like a molten sledgehammer. I need a camel's hump. Each day's ride I drink 4-6 liters of water, 2 or 3 cokes, beer, juice - each time I take in liquids I pump them out in a renewed sweat. The climb is absurdly steep as it shoots upwards for the Pacific Ocean watershed. Thankfully, cold clear streams tumble through the jungle providing a welcomed chance to cool down and wash away stinging sweat. Late in the afternoon the steep loose surfaced roads reduce me to a walk. However, the pace is only about 1kph slower, 3.5kph versus 4.5kph. I get lots of encouragement or blank stares.I begin to top out at what I think may be the continental divide but after a brief drop I begin rolling upwards again. I am feeling driven and on my own - Matt and Paul are somewhere back there being reasonable.I want to arrive at a reservoir that drains into the Pacific watershed. The day at this point feels long. I am starting to take it personally and feel the occasional need to scream "Fuck Me!" at each climb up another hill. To make things worse some jackass in a truck taunts me that it is not over yet. I reached the reservoir late in the afternoon with, optimistically, two hours of light left. Reservoirs are in valleys, which is why they can hold water, so I know i will have to climb to leave the reservoir - thinking is becoming a little simplistic at this point. After buying a pineapple snack I start climbing out of the valley - I want this climb done! But damn these mountains are big! I just never considered them because there is no snow. I want to wake to a glorious morning descent. After 95 nasty kilometers in over 7 hours of ride time I am over the other side. I stop at a small store in Valle de la Mina to buy some water and two beers. I am forced to crash in a field off the road by dense fog as it rains , and pass out after making dinner.
The next morning dawns bright and it is all down hill baby at well over 70kph the only thing slowing me down is a herd of cattle.The scenery had a tropical Swiss alpine vibe and was screaming beautiful as I banked through turns and kept momentum over the small rises.I finished my day 120km along with my first swim in the Pacific Ocean and a Paulaner Salvatore (or three). I stayed at El Mundo Bar, owned by German expats, in the quiet town of Las Lajas, and got pleasantly drunk with a charming couple from San Francisco before crashing in a hammock overlooking the Pacific.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Greg, I like being 1/2 of a charming couple, since I have been 1/2 of so many disastrous couples in my life. It was a blast spending that short time with you especially after having passed you twice in our car several days apart, on the way to Bocas and on the way to Las Lajas. We were hoping you would surprise us in Santa Clara but realized it was a lot further from Las Lajas than we thought. We did lift a few Pina Coladas to you. We will be following your blog and are thinking of you plenty on your courages journey. My best to you.

    Lawrence (Lsdorfman@sbcglobal.net)

    ReplyDelete